Location: Indianapolis, IN
Competitive Salary, Bonus & Relocation
Summary: The person hired will be required to provide both professional legal advice and commercial guidance to company's global Purchasing function. In addition, this role will require general business counselling to all business units or segments. The position will be based in Indianapolis, Indiana, with domestic and international travel, and carries a wide range of in-house legal responsibilities.
The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Provide legal support and counsel for Purchasing function, including direct and indirect purchasing. Role includes structuring, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial contracts, including purchasing, supply, distribution, service and technology licensing as well as outsourcing agreements. She/he will support key initiatives and business requirements, including the purchase of a wide array of products and services, and the management of compliance requirements across suppliers.
- Drive risk mitigation and negotiation strategies for key vendor relationships, maintain a deep understanding of the business, advising on legal risks and assisting in development of creative solutions as a member of the team, not solely as the legal advisor
- Continuous improvement of contracting processes, including creation and/or improvement of toolkits and templates in order to reduce deal cycle times and refine standard contract terms. Designing and implementing process improvements, including creation and updates of legal templates and playbooks.
- A wide range of responsibilities in the areas of corporate transactions, commercial contracting and general business counseling.
- Providing strategic legal advice and commercial support to certain business units.
- Acts as an organizational leader in purchasing, supply, commercial and other corporate law matters and combines knowledge of these legal specialties with sound business acumen and knowledge of the business goals and objectives.
- Conducts project and legal matter management independently; consistently exercises sound independent judgment.
- Identifies and drives development of legal strategies for the Company; manages client expectations to balance requirements and competing priorities; provides useful legal advice and alternative solutions.
- Responsible for training business and functional colleagues on best practices in purchasing, commercial contracts, and related practice areas.
- Expected to work independently and cross-functionally to bring team members together to efficiently and effectively execute the company’s growth strategy.
- Brings practical solutions and business acumen to all transactions and initiatives.
- Superior written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with ability to listen attentively and to communicate effectively throughout all levels of the organization. Ability to work at the executive level with persuasiveness and confidence.
- Must have the ability to think strategically, assess the legal and business implications of initiatives and provide thoughtful, timely, practical and business savvy advice.
- Manages a slate of domestic and international legal firms dedicated to partnering with the company to deliver value-driven legal support for the company’s strategic objectives.
- Responsible for updating and developing best-in-class templates and other tools to effectively support the Purchasing and other commercial/business processes.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as required.
- Requires strong organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple high-priority projects simultaneously and a willingness to be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- Acts as trusted advisor for Purchasing, business teams and management; has strong grasp of business environment and the industry; effectively partners with stakeholders to identify and design needed improvements; provides legal as well as practical advice within the appropriate business context; understands and manages client expectations; influence colleagues’ actions to mitigate risks.
- Ensures efficient and timely communication with colleagues and team members.
- Commitment to Company’s core values.
General overview of job:
Responsible for drafting and negotiating complex domestic and international agreements with third parties (e.g. suppliers, consultants, service providers), which may involve templates, custom drafting and/or revising third party agreements;
Assign and manage work performed by outside counsel in a cost-effective manner;
Develop strategic business relationships with suppliers and internal business leaders and stakeholders, lead contract negotiations, drive cost savings initiatives, implement strategic sourcing best practices, and provide legal advice and support on transactions supporting the day-to-day operations of the company; and
General business counseling.
This is a challenging and demanding environment where you will be expected to manage a significant volume of work, deliver to tight timelines, partner with people from diverse backgrounds and handle legal issues arising from anywhere in the world. The successful candidate will be familiar with or have a willingness to learn technical concepts. She/he will be a highly responsive attorney with a service-oriented attitude, able to prioritize and manage deadlines in a fast-paced and demanding environment, and a person who understands the importance of collaboration and good humor, and who enjoys building strong relationships with internal clients. This is a phenomenal opportunity to join one of the most highly sought after and cutting-edge companies in the world.
- Strong transactional background, with significant experience negotiating and drafting contracts.
- Willingness and ability to handle a wide range of legal issues for various constituencies, with a strong focus on customer service.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Superior intellect, with the ability to think critically and make clear and well-reasoned decisions; strategic and innovative thinker who can bring value to his or her clients and find creative solutions to complex legal problems.
- Ability to see and handle more than the legal issues of a project; strong, pragmatic business acumen with the ability to recognize the business consequences of legal advice.
- Exemplary personal and professional integrity and business ethics, as well as a commitment to diversity and a respect for others.
- Enthusiasm for working for a global company and everything that it entails: international travel as necessary, working across multiple cultures, willingness to accommodate international time zones, etc.
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and clients across various disciplines and cultures.
- Some international experience, and the ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
Experience & Education:
- Legal experience minimum of 5-7 years, either in-house or in a law firm
- Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills
- Juris doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school
- Excellent academic credentials
- Experience with Six Sigma preferred but not required
- License to practice in Indiana or another jurisdiction
Please answer the questions listed below and email them back to me with your updated resume to email@example.com Referrals are welcome!
Do you have 5-7 Years of either in-house or in a law firm experience? Explain
2. Do you have Strong drafting, negotiating and communication skills and a Juris doctor degree from an ABA accredited law school?
3. What is your salary expectations?